Department / Unit:
The Physician Assistant is a highly skilled healthcare professional educated in the medical model who will work under the supervision of a registered physician in the Hospitalist program and departments. The Physician Assistant needs to have the knowledge, skills, and experience to work in collaboration as part of the inter-professional team. There is an expectation the physician assistant will be involved in quality improvement, data tracking, staff development, and resource management strategies working towards excellent patient care. In an administrative and clinical context the Physician Assistant will report to the Manager, F-Wing and the Medical Chief.
- Supports the physician as an extension of the supervising physician within the physician patient relationship as guided by the supervising physician, performing controlled acts delegated by supervising physician;
- Performs complete and appropriate clinical assessment along with documentation;
- Formulates clinical treatment plans;
- Uses preventative and therapeutic interventions effectively to meet needs of patients;
- Ensures that members of the health care team and patients are aware of his/her status of Physician Assistant while providing services;
- Provides leadership, in collaboration with the manager to the patient care team to ensure patient/family focused care within a coordinated integrated care planning model of care;
- Acts as a resource to the team through clinical expertise and knowledge base related to the medical/clinical needs of patients. Incorporates evidence based practice to support clinical decision making;
- Assists in day to day problem solving within and across the services, in collaboration with the team;
- Ensures he/she has the necessary knowledge, skill and judgment to perform any act that has been delegated;
- Assists the team to develop continuous quality improvement, utilization management and risk management activities, including implementation of standards and tracking mechanisms, in collaboration with the manager;
- Provides guidance and direction to coordinate discharge planning and promote patient flow;
- Develops rapport, trust, and ethical therapeutic relationships with patients, families, and members of the inter-professional team.
- Promotes and maintains good interdepartmental relationships;
- Provides and promotes support to student clinical placement assigned to the area along with assisting in the orientation/mentoring of new staff; and
- Performs other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) Certificate of Registration in good standing or eligibility;
- CAPA Interest Group relative to area of work;
- Accredited Physician Assistant;
- Current CPR or BCLS certificate;
- Certification in ACLS and PALS or obtain within 6 months of the commencement of the position;
- Certification relative to area of work (preferred);
- Minimum 6 months to 1-year Clinical experience in critical care, Medical/Surgical area, or relative clinical pre-graduate experience;
- Demonstrated ability to support and coach staff in the accomplishment of department goals and initiatives; and
- Ability to perform all specialized functions in the relative clinical service area (i.e. Delegated Medical Acts.).
- All job offers will require compliance with our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for proof of full vaccination unless provided with a medical exemption or an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.