Department / Unit:
|Interprofessional Practice, Quality & Patient Experience
Headwaters Health Care Centre. One Community, Caring
We are a dedicated team of professionals focused on providing the best care possible for our patients, families, and caregivers. We work together to care for the whole person from hospital to home.
We are looking for a Clinical Extern Program Coordinator (CEPC) to work with our Interprofessional Practice Team to help us continue in our mission to serve our community with Kindness, Passion, Courage, and Teamwork
The Clinical Extern Program Coordinator (CEPC) role is designed for a healthcare professional (i.e., nurse, respiratory therapist, or allied health professional).
The Clinical Externs practice under the direct and/or indirect supervision of a registered health professional in the patient care environment.
The CEPC role will support the education and development of the Clinical Externs, provide mentorship, support, team integration, Extern coordination, and overall program implementation and evaluation.
Extern Program Coordinators support the planning, education, and integration of Externs.
CEPCs are responsible for supporting Clinical Externs’ practice and integration into the clinical area in accordance with organizational and professional standards, and in collaboration with clinical teams. Appendix B provides a high‐level summary and example of CEPC roles and responsibilities.
- Assist in establishing a clear onboarding and education pathway for Clinical Externs (e.g., Extern Passport).
- Ensure Clinical Extern supervision structures and mechanisms are in place in the clinical area.
- Establish a structure for ongoing Clinical Extern and practice area support (e.g., debriefs, check‐ins, ongoing laddered education, issue resolution).
- Focus on enhanced training and development opportunities, employee coaching, performance recognition, and management.
- Develop organizational guidelines for the Clinical Extern scope of practice, and delegations to support practice where required.
- Leverage existing clinical placement students for Clinical Extern program, and
- Provide clear guidelines on the role of Clinical Externs as it relates to COVID‐19 positive patient care and outbreak response.
- Participate in the recruitment process for Clinical Externs, making hiring recommendations.
- Support integration of Clinical Externs at the organizational and unit level.
- Contribute to Clinical Extern onboarding.
- Create, adapt and deliver orientation and learning resources.
- Aid in integration of team processes and role clarity.
- Assist Clinical Externs to become familiar with the work in their new area of practice.
- Support unit teams to collaborate with Clinical Externs to provide required patient care.
- Maintain regular unit presence to support ongoing education needs and tracking of required skills attainment.
- Support performance management of Clinical Externs.
- Provide ongoing monitoring and evaluations of Clinical Extern role.
- Promote Clinical Extern staff wellness and team well‐being.
- Serve as a liaison and conduit between the unit leadership, Professional Practice and People and Culture teams.
- Baccalaureate in relevant field.
- Registration in good standing from the healthcare regulatory college representing their profession.
The CEPC role is a leadership opportunity for experienced nurses with the following additional qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years of direct inpatient care in an acute care setting
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching or precepting in the acute care setting
- Excellent clinical skills and competencies
- Outstanding communication skills
- Previous experience as Clinical Instructor or placement supervisor, and
- Demonstrated leadership, change management, and problem‐solving skills.
- Recent patient care experience preferred.
- Recent acute care experience preferred.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control practices.
- Demonstrates conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates computer literacy.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
- Models behaviour that is aligned with the values of Headwaters Health Care Centre.
Hours of Work: Full-time, Contract, 37.5 hours per week
Hiring Salary Range: Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Position Length: The duration of this temporary contract is approx. 6 months.
Our values are more than words, they are what define and connect us. They determine how we work, how we behave, and how we relate to our patients, their families, and caregivers as well as to everyone who is part of the Headwaters community
We offer a wide range of employee perks, for information on our comprehensive benefits package, please visit Headwaters Health Care Centre - Careers at Headwaters