Department / Unit:
Headwaters Health Care Centre. One Community, Caring Together.We are a dedicated team of professionals focused on providing the best care possible for our patients, families, and caregivers. We work together to care for the whole person from hospital to home.
We are looking for an Occupational Therapist to work with our Occupational Therapy Department to help us continue in our mission to serve our community with Kindness, Passion, Courage, and Teamwork
The Occupational Therapist (OT) provides occupational therapy consultation, assessment, and intervention to promote the development of skills and behaviors essential to minimize the impact of disability on functional independence.
The Occupational Therapist develops and implements a plan of intervention for inpatients in collaboration with the health care team. Specifically, you will provide expert occupational therapy assessment and treatment recommendations for patients on the acute care units, and outpatient clinics. You are a strong team player and enjoy a mixed patient case load.
This position rotates through outpatient clinics and inpatient services as per departmental requirements.
- Responsible for the delivery of Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment to patients with a wide variety of conditions such as dementia, deconditioning, chronic, orthopedic and neurological conditions. Complete cognitive and perceptual assessments on patients to determine the most appropriate treatment plan.
- Use effective interpersonal skills to communicate complex and sensitive information with patients who may be vulnerable and at risk.
- Educate patients about how to manage their conditions and advise on recuperative activities
- Work collaboratively with families and other members of the professional team in the planning and delivery of programs for patients
- Ensure patients actively participate in patient care, planning, goal setting and treatment scheduling.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient and patient information.
- Provide timely and accurate documentation of patient care.
- Act as a consultant to other members of the inter-disciplinary team on a patient specific basis.
- Ensure appropriate supervision of occupational therapy interventions/treatment, utilizing students, or support personnel.
- Provide accurate and timely preparation of reports for other agencies as appropriate.
- Educate or act as consultant to other team members or the community in general on a time available interest basis.
- Annually, develop, implement and evaluate personal education and skills development plan.
- Participate in department and hospital activities, projects and committees based on personal goals and interests.
- Is familiar with and acts in accordance to the department’s policies and procedures
- Participates in patient safety initiatives and takes action to address unsafe conditions and procedures to ensure a healthy and safe environment.
- Promotes an environment that encourages and supports change using change management theory
- All employees of Headwaters Health Care Centre (HHCC) are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by HHCC.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- BScOT/MScOT or equivalent required
- Registered and licensed with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO)
- Minimum of 2 years of clinical experience in acute and/or rehabilitation hospital environment preferred
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in hand therapy and splinting required
- Hand Specialist Certification preferred.
- Experience with assessment of cognition, mobility and safety with the elderly and/or chronically ill
- Experience doing splinting using multiple mediums preferred
- Knowledge of community resources an asset
- Experience in positioning and wound prevention an asset
- Strong computer skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to utilize your critical thinking and problem- solving skills
- Excellent time management skills and demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work with an Occupational Therapy Assistant to develop plans of care and modify as necessary
- Excellent team player
- Appropriate lifting techniques
Hiring Salary Range: $35.47 – 49.17
Our values are more than words, they are what define and connect us. They determine how we work, how we behave, and how we relate to our patients, their families, and caregivers as well as to everyone who is part of the Headwaters community.
We offer a wide range of employee perks, for information on our comprehensive benefits package, please visit Headwaters Health Care Centre - Careers at Headwaters
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Headwaters Health Care Centre is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and supports the compliance of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you have a need for an accommodation, please contact Human Resources so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Headwaters Health Care Centre is a smoke free facility. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors.
All job offers will require compliance with our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for proof of full vaccination unless provided with a medical exemption or an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.