Headwaters Health Care Centre. One Community, Caring Together.
We are a dedicated team of professionals focused on providing the best care possible for our patients, families, and caregivers. We work together to care for the whole person from hospital to home.
We are looking for Clinical Externs to work with our Various Clinical Areas to help us continue in our mission to serve our community with Kindness, Passion, Courage, and Teamwork
The clinical extern will be working in the capacity as an
unregulated health care provider. Clinical
externs work in collaboration with the unit multidisciplinary team. Clinical Externs will gain in-hospital
experience, develop critical thinking skills and support patient care, while
working under the supervision of a regulated health care provider.
Externs will be hired on contract, during which the Extern will work part time hours to a maximum of full-time hours (37.5 hours per week). The scheduling of these hours will be determined based on unit needs and may include day/evening/night and weekend shifts.
The successful applicant will perform the duties expected of a Clinical Extern within Various Clinical Departments.
- Practices under the direct and/or indirect supervision of the
regulated health care provider assigned to them on the unit and in a manner
consistent with Headwaters Health Care Centre policies standards
- Works with unit staff to ensure that they have the knowledge, skills and judgment needed to perform all actions/duties.
- Provides assistance with lifting, turning, transferring, transporting and ambulating as per the hospital policy.
- Provides measures to ensure skin integrity and reduce pressure injuries.
- Assists with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean and tidy and free of hazards.
- Requests assistance with assigned duties whenever in need
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Participates as a member of the interprofessional team
- Currently enrolled in an accredited School of Nursing and entering into final years of a Practical Nursing (in year 2 and 3) or BScN (in year 2-4) nursing program;
- Paramedic students in second year of an approved Paramedic Program
- Respiratory Therapy students in their second or third year of a training program accreditation by the Council on Accreditation of Respiratory Therapy Education, which is administered by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent academic standing
- An official school transcript will be required if you are invited to be interviewed for this position;
- Current BCLS required;
- Well-developed critical thinking and organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize and take initiative;
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Ability to work all shifts as necessary;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Kindness, Passion, Courage, and Teamwork
- Ability to embrace ongoing change and innovations
- Demonstrated commitment to a person and family centered care environment
- Demonstrated good attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with organization related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
- Completion of mandatory/required certifications provided via Headwaters Healthcare Centre corporate orientation, including extern orientation, and as defined by unit. (e.g. Fit Test, WHIMS, AODA, IPAC) Top of Form
- Demonstrated infection prevention and control practices
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Successful completion of a recent clinical placement in an acute care area preferred.
Hiring Salary Range: $20.00
Position Length: The duration of this temporary contract is approx. 6 months.
Number of Positions: Six (6)
Our values are more than words, they are what define and connect us. They determine how we work, how we behave, and how we relate to our patients, their families, and caregivers as well as to everyone who is part of the Headwaters community
We offer a wide range of employee perks, for information on our comprehensive benefits package, please visit Headwaters Health Care Centre - Careers at Headwaters
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Headwaters Health Care Centre is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer and supports the compliance of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you have a need for an accommodation, please contact Human Resources so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
Headwaters Health Care Centre is a smoke free facility. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors.
All job offers will require compliance with our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for proof of full vaccination unless provided with a medical exemption or an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code.